St. John’s Gregorian Choir, Tralee, was founded by Fr. Pat Ahern in 1957. The choir was initially all male, comprising some fifty boys and twenty men. In 1962 it became a mixed choir and it has remained such ever since. Nine of the original members still sing with the choir.
The Gregorian Choir dates from the days of Gregorian chant and the Latin liturgy, so you could say that Latin was its mother tongue! Today the choir’s repertoire includes many of the works of the 16th century masters. Since the second Vatican Council the choir has cultivated a wide variety of music in the vernacular, both in English and in Irish. The choir sings weekly at the Saturday evening vigil mass.
St. John’s second Choir, under the direction of organist John Jones, was formed in 1994.
It provides the music every Sunday in St. John’s at the 12.00 noon mass.
The combined choirs number 45 members. They have participated in major diocesan events in Kerry in recent years, notably the Millennium Pageant, “Dance of Life”, the Cathedral 150 celebration, “Song of the Living Stones”, the Lourdes Pageant, “Massabielle”, and most recently the Easter Ceremonies, broadcast live from Tralee on RTE television.